Thread: Digital modes 2m & 70cm

Digital modes 2m & 70cm

New to Ham Radio, im interested in digital modes over 2m and 70cm. Are there any digital modes in use in the area? If so what are they and on what frequencies can they be found?

Visitor
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I myself am not doing this myself..... yet, but I believe there are a couple packet repeaters around town.
    The only one I know of off the top is 145.71 is a 2 meter packet repeater on the white tanks. Callsign is W7MOT-6

Also there are a number of APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) digipeaters around town, not sure if APRS qualifies for what you are looking for or not, but do some searching on it, it is an interesting digital mode. At it's core it supports automatic position reporting (ie a gps in your vehicle is used to transmit location information as you move) but it can also be used for messaging and much more. There are standard APRS frequencies on 2m 144.390 and 70cm (I don't remember the local 70cm freq off the top of my head)

If you have specific questions on APRS fire them off. As to other digital mode questions on 2m / 70cm I don't have any experience yet, but if you have specific questions fire them off and I can try to help find an answer. Also there are others on here who may have more information on this for you.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know there wan irregular digital net that happened in the summer on Monday nights. Not sure if it's still going or not. It was at 19:00 local time on 144.300 USB using Olivia 8/500. You'll need an all-mode radio to do USB, of course.

Thanks for the replies. I have a Yaesu FT-60R as a starter radio. Been very happy with it so far. I contacted Tigertronics about a signalink cable that works with this HT and they have an experimental one they are thinking of selling, they shipped one to me to test on this radio. So far it seems to work well. I have been using APRSISCE/32 and the UZ7HO software TNC and I am amazed at the sensitivity in receiving packets with this combination. I am still a little confused in the usage of APRSICE/32 and would like to test it by sending a message to someone on the APRS system, but I am too paranoid of doing something against APRS "etiquette" if there is such a thing. The olivia packet stuff sounds interesting, but my radio lacks upper side band.

I could use some tips and "best practices" with APRS. Is there some other software I should be looking at? Etc...

Visitor
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a site with alot of info. I myself have not used APRS outside of radios with built in aprs specific software, so I dont know any details outside of that.

http://www.aprs.org/

If nothing else I would recommend listening and decoding APRS packets for a while before trying anything there (without using some kind of aprs specific software)

This seems to have some good info too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...porting_System

Tried to do a little digging on the W7MOT-6 repeater. When I see 1200 baud packet, do I assume it uses AFSK? I will try to monitor that frequency and see if I can hear any tones where I am. Pretty limited range with my HT at the moment. Where would I look for packet operators in the Phoenix area? Is there a bandplan frequency allocation for digital modes similar to the frequency being used for APRS?