Assembling my first station and dealing with pounding in an 8 foot grounding rod for the station ground. Antenna grounds and bonding to follow as I determine which antenna to use in my HOA. I am using a Buddipole in the interim.

I have begun pounding with a 6' pinch point bar using a 14 pound post pounder and reached about 2' before Caliche or other rock halted progress. I am located on the north slope of Shaw Butte in a subdivision that is terraced - a layer of Caliche is visible on the slope up to the next street above me. Have tried adding water in the hole but to no avail.

I think I am ready for some power tools such as a Demolition Hammer to punch the copper clad ground rod through the Caliche to the desired 8' depth.

Will this extra effort actually yield an effective station ground ?

Anyone have experience with these heavy tools ?

Complicating matters, I suspect that the soil beneath Caliche is pretty dry (for several millennia) and not conductive for grounding purposes anyway, although APS uses this method for residential electrical grounds.

I also read somewhere that the military has researched this grounding issue and concluded that 4 ground rods, connected in series, and driven 1 to 2 feet in the ground is an effective station ground. The soil above my layer of Caliche has been used as a flower bed and has been saturated with rain water, so I presume this soil has better conductivity than below the Caliche. Has anyone tried this 4 ground rod approach approach ?

NEC 250.52 (A) (5) details acceptable electrical grounds and one approach is the 8' grounding rod, placed horizontally in a 3' deep trench. Anyone with thoughts on the effectiveness of this method for a station ground ?

I realize that this is an old, old topic, but this is my first time and want to do it right. Your wisdom is requested.