PDA

View Full Version : Ground Rod Driver

K7LSQ
01-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I made the attached tool to drive in 8' ground rods and will make it available to club members. The pipe in which the rod fits is much smaller than the typical fence post driver normally used and therefore may be more efficient. Use at your own risk.

Steve
K7LSQ
602 955-0838

K7TEJ
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Steve,

I may take you up on this. A new antenna is in the offing as oparts of "Hamshack Phase III" and I'll need to ground it.

KF7SLM
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow, that is one hefty driver. I put in my generator ground rod wt. a standard fence post driver and yours looks to be twice a large?

BTW, When I bought my 8' at Home Depot they had just changed the NEC to 10' ground rods. I didn't read it for myself, so please check for yourself.

Jim, KF7SLM

K7LSQ
02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Rick,
I have since made a slick device for pulling it out of the ground when driving one in for portable use...like Field Day. Let me know when you want to use it.

Steve K7LSQ

K7LSQ
02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
This is about the same height as the fence post driver...maybe heavier. The nice thing is the tube is smaller to eliminate slop inside the driver and I assume more efficiency with each hit. Limited to about a 3/4" rod. I don't think 10' will be an issue but you will probably have to start from a ladder. I subsequently made a slick puller for taking it out; when driving a ground it for portable use like Field Day. It's yours for the asking.

Steve K7LSQ

KF7APQ
06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Rick,
I have since made a slick device for pulling it out of the ground when driving one in for portable use...like Field Day. Let me know when you want to use it.

Steve K7LSQ

Do tell us about the device you devised for pulling a ground rod. I sunk one in the middle of the yard and have since decided it has to go. Suggestions have been made to cut it off below ground level and forget it, not too attractive an idea.

KB2NFQ
03-29-2013, 08:05 PM
In this dry Arizona environment, and with many places served by wells, (I.E. no good water system ground) multiple ground rods are almost a mandate.
Putting a 10 footer in this dry rocky strewn ground may be quite a challenge.

Don't you just love getting RF burns off your microphone?

Same thing holds true for radials associated with a vertical antenna. You may find you need more than normal, unless you have an irrigated lot, or live in a HOA that waters every other day. :-)

73 - KB2NFQ -- Don H.