PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Towers

AF7EL
12-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Being frustrated with HOA regulations, I'm looking at property that can have a visible antenna. I looked at two properties who already had towers near by. One was next door to the property and one was about 300 feet away. Logic dictates you probably don't want to be next door to a tower if you ever want to put one up. But is there any "rule of thumb" for distance separation? I've tried researching on the internet, but the best I could find was "the further away the better." Not quite the quantifiable figure I was looking to find. Is it 1,000 feet separation? 3,000 feet? Is there a formula of the height of both towers times a factor? Also, I know the tower's height/location must not come within 10 feet of any electrical lines. But does Maricopa County require a specific square foot lot to put a certain height antenna up. Does it have to be able to lay on only your property if it falls. (Having seen some of the towers, I don't think that is the case). Maybe only the mast? Are there other pitfalls I haven't even mentioned that I need to watch out for?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

N7BES
12-17-2013, 09:26 PM
So I don't have any specific values to provide, but to help answer your question you are going to need to have an idea on the following for both the neighbor's tower/s and what you want to put up.

1. What bands do you/they intend to have antennas on the tower for?

2. What type of antenna/s ? ( I am assuming something directional ? )

3. How much power do you/they intend to run?

4. Tower heights

5. When you say next door, how big are the lots (like small city lots, or bigger acre lots, or ?????)

From an electrical standpoint if the tower were to fall in any direction it should not come in contact with electrical wires ( generally with something like a 10 foot margin) so it is really tower height + 10 feet.
Other than that I don't have any static values to give, but I think answering the questions above might help us get you a better answer.

-Bryan

AF7EL
12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Bryan, thank you for the response. I will try to answer your questions. Lot size I'm looking at are around 10,000+ sq ft.
I will probably start off with a Dipole and J-Pole. I am new so I try to work all frequencies. I would like the availability to some day put up a tower without having to move again. I'm currently 100 watts but will be getting a 500 -600 watt amp. Looking at property with underground utilities.
The two I properties have looked at, but think there would be a conflict:
1. Ham was running a rotating Yagi on a 80' tower. He runs 1,000 watts. Unknown frequency. 300 feet from property.
2. Ham was running a rotating Yagi on a 65' tower, a 100' Dipole, and Multi-Freq vertical. He runs 800 -1,200 watts.
Unknown freq. 50 feet from property.

Really don't know much more than that. I have the feeling I need/should be at least a block away from any other ham. Maybe it needs to be more. That's what I'm trying to determine.

N7BES
12-19-2013, 10:51 AM
So to put some perspective on this, During field day we have up to 5 stations running on different antennas at the same time on a 5 acre lot. With all of them running at 100 watts we typically don't have too many issues unless two people are on the same band, there might be some extra noise but nothing too extreme, and keep in mind this is during the biggest contest of the year (at least for us) with all those stations going gangbusters.

Looking at your examples, with them operating higher power there is obviously going to be more chance for interference, for the AZ qso party, setup at the same 5 acre site one of the stations was running an amp. When the station with the amp was running ( especially cw) there was certainly more noise, even on other bands. but we were still able to get quite a bit of communication done.

Looking at your situation, being that close isnt ideal, but realistically I would think you would be ok, other than potentially some additional noise for both parties, if you both were running directional antennas I would think you would want to take care to not point your beams at each others. Also I would not leave the antenna hooked up to anything when not in use with that much power being operated right there.

Take this all with a grain of salt, hopefully someone with some more direct experience will chime in, The experience I have with close operations is all related to field day and qso parties and that is obviously different operating conditions than day to day.

WA7AEQ
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
You can look up all the information on the Maricopa County Web.
Bob WA7AEQ